Asad Hussain Bokhari
ASAD (Pasha) H. BOKHARI
TELP: Mobile +923002788282 Email: email@example.com
- Experienced professional with more than 38 years of successful career in investments, strategy planning, marketing corporate banking, strategic business development and financial management. Very strong in-depth knowledge of business & financial models for a cross-section of industry. Skilled and with extensive background and a thorough knowledge in Corporate & Institutional Banking, Corporate Finance & Islamic Banking, including a very good knowledge and experience in bank operations & investment banking.
- An effective executive with skills necessary to direct, train and motivate staff to their fullest potential to ensure organizational goals are attained.
- Highly skilled marketeer with a proactive approach, possessing excellent leadership qualities coupled with interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills.
- Executed several major deals that included Structured Finance, Syndication, and Project Financing.
- Managed Corporate Banking Teams, Remedial Management Teams, and Financial Analyst Team.
- Attended local and international training courses/seminars/workshops.
Jan. ‘11 to date Group Director, Investments and Strategic Planning, Ghassan Al Nemer Group, Dammam, Saudi Arabia.
- Handling the investment portfolio of this medium sized corporation that is involved in manufacturing wholesaling and retailing gold jewellery, construction and contracting, and trucking/logistics operations. Also heading the UK arm of this business that invests in properties in the UK.
- Successfully created the financial model and arranged financing for a SAR 600 million real estate development project.
- Met and liaised with investment bankers to seek investment opportunities focusing on the group criteria for investments that gave acceptable yields with mitigated risks thereof.
- Chaired the group committee for business strategy for all the operating units of the Ghassan Group.
Oct. ‘08 to Jan ‘11 Area Division Head, Commercial Banking, The Saudi British Bank, AlKhobar
- A high profile management position accountable for strategic profitable business development for the Commercial Banking Segment for the Bank, and for the international affiliates of the HSBC Group.
- Managed staff strength of 18 professionals comprising of 3 Team Leaders of operating units that contain Senior Relationship Managers, Relationship Managers and Supervisors, Customer Service Representatives including Trade Services.
- Holding mid-low 8-digit credit approval authority plus hold final decision on evaluation of proposal to ensure that they meet lending guideline parameters before recommending to higher credit authority up to the Bank’s Board Level.
- Developing strategies and action plans, and ensuring their implementation, to increase assets and profitability, supplemented by cross-selling multi products and services within my business territory that consists of large size corporates throughout Eastern Province.
- Counselling high net worth individuals and corporate clients with regard to financial engineering, investment opportunities, risk analysis and bettering their monetary returns.
- Leading the marketing efforts of the Division by supporting and/or arranging community events to position the Bank as a contributor to community affairs in the Area.
- Developing and implementing new business development plans for the growth of profit for the Bank by effectively managing and adding assets to my portfolio
- Calling on customers and prospective customers for proactive negotiations, while enhancing Bank’s image within the community.
- Handled seriously impaired corporate credits. Arranged a well structured debt restructuring for one major client with work-out solutions, through identified self-liquidating financing that produced surplus cash flow to repay NCB without loss.
- Assisted in mentoring and coaching of newly recruited staff in assessment of problems that created loan-loss situations, and worked in analysing, and in finding solutions.
- Also succeeded in concluding restructuring of debts of 3 corporate names that brought SR 25-50 million in write-backs of interest provisions and reserves to the P&L account of the Bank.
Nov. ‘07 to Aug 08 Manager, Finance Restructuring Dept., The National Commercial bank, Jeddah
Aug. 2004 Asst. Vice President, Head of Corporate Credit & Remedial Management, Sharjah Islamic Bank, Sharjah, UAE.
to June 2007
- Headed a team of Credit Risk Officers involved in credit approval process and assisted business units in structuring corporate, institutional, Islamic and investment banking transactions. Member of the bank’s Credit Committee. Ensured Sharia compliance in all transactions outside standard credit policy that was developed with my help.
- Worked with the Bank’s Chief Risk Officer to formulate the Bank’s Islamic Credit Policy, and product development. Worked on developing the scoring system format for Retail Credit Islamic products
- Contributed to the Bank’s risk management system by testing and introducing new debt rating models, improving quality of financial spreads, risk review processes (that included stress testing the portfolio, portfolio management disciplines, industry studies).
- Developed a risk management process which includes a) Scenario Planning as an embedded process for anticipating adverse macro-developments, b) establishing a robust Target Market and Risk Acceptance Criteria, c) created risk awareness through individual credit due diligence, d) encouraged bottoms-up, early problem recognition and prompt remedial management, and e) implemented Credit Self Assessment supported by a rigorous Line Review process.
- Led a team charged with the implementation of the Basel II framework till Jan. ‘06.
- Managed the Bank’s portfolio of non-performing assets. Successfully concluded repayment, settlements & restructuring of 15 B&D accounts with AED 35 Million in write-backs to the P&L account of the bank.
March 01 Asst. General Manager, Risk Management Group, SAMBA (Citibank), Head Office Riyadh, S. Arabia.
to June 04
- Worked with Head Office Risk Management Group, Riyadh to focus on ways and means to improve quality of impaired credit. Headed debt restructuring unit at the head office level, handling problematic complex credits of the Corporate Bank.
- Successfully led a team and concluded debt/equity swaps & restructuring of 8 corporate names with large write-backs of interest provisions and reserves to P&L account of the bank. Recoveries made in excess of SR 35 Million, and Debt Collections in excess of SR 85 million.
- Set-up, the SambaRemedialUnitEasternProvince leading a 3-man team in collection, recovery and restructuring of adversely graded accounts. Obtained recovery of SAR 41 Million and successfully restructured SAR 224 Million impaired loan assets for orderly repayment.
Jan. ‘95 to Senior Corporate Banker / Unit Head – Corporate Banking Division- Eastern Province,
Feb 2000 The National Commercial Bank, Dammam, Saudi Arabia.
- Was involved in marketing, evaluating corporates, and booking high-yielding risk assets for NCB; and in preparation and implementation of strategic and business development plans, identification of target markets and resource allocations.
- Increased loan portfolio from SAR 3.1 billion to SAR 4.2 billion consisting of 30 clients, with no loan losses during tenure. Clients comprised multi-national corporations, joint ventures with Saudi national companies, wholly-owned government and quasi-government corporations, Saudi merchant family groups, and indigenous local companies.
- Implemented cash management systems and developed treasury roles between clients and Bank.
Mar. ’92 to Head, Special Credit Unit, The National Commercial Bank, Jeddah.
- Established an independent department to take responsibility and manage all weak & non-performing credits. Developed remedial credit policy, and implemented a plan for improving the credit quality of weak credits. Was successful in phasing out SR 258 million of troubled accounts, and in restructuring orderly repayment SR 395 Million of non-performing debt.
Jan. ’87 to Regional Head, Corporate Banking Group, The National Commercial Bank, Jeddah.
- Headed a 8-member professional group involved in structuring, providing, and monitoring multi-faceted credit facilities ranging from trade finance and term lending to investment management and treasury services for the corporate clients of NCB Western Region. Responsibilities involved marketing and risk management of asset for the corporate sector relating to local, multi-national and joint venture corporations. Increased loan portfolio of SAR 4.5 billion to SAR 5.7 billion by end of tenure.
- Member of Regional Credit Committee, the credit approving authority of the Bank’s Western Region.
Sept. ’81 to Corporate Account Manager, Construction, Contracting & Services Sector-Corporate Bank,
Dec. ’86 Eastern Province, The National Commercial Bank, Al Khobar, Saudi Arabia.
- Responsible for a loan portfolio of SAR 1.3 billion consisting of 20 clients with no loan losses during tenure. Exposure was related to government infrastructure and defence related project financing through multi-disciplined facilities.
- Increased, my portfolio from SAR 875 million to SAR 1.3 billion. Additional bookings were some of the highest quality business names of the Eastern Province of Saudi Arabia.
Apl. ’79 to Manager, Bank of Credit and Commerce Int’l, Main Office, Amman, Jordan.
- Responsibilities involved country business plans, country profitability, and quality of asset growth through marketing of Jordanian & international business of the Corporate and Retail Sector, with related responsibilities for treasury, and trade finance.
Jan 7o Corporate Account Manager, Corporate Division, ANZ-Grindlays Bank Ltd., Karachi.
- Responsible for marketing and booking of corporate risk assets, structuring credit to borrowers needs through analysis of historical and projected financial data.
· Worked in Foreign Trade Department – Letters of Credit Import & Export, and Bills.
- 6-Day Euromoney Corporate Finance Course, UK (Sept 1998)
- Citibank Research & International Training Centre, New Delhi, India 10 – week Advance Credit Course – Aug. – Oct. 1977
- Citibank, Karachi, 3-week Credit Course & Account Management Programme,1970.
- Grindlays Covenanted Officers’ Training Programme, London ‘68 – ‘69.
University of Punjab, GovernmentCollege, Lahore – BA Degree in History & Political Science, 1965.
KarachiGrammar School, University of Cambridge – General Cert of Education “A” Levels, 1963.
Citizen of Pakistan. Born: January 6, 1945, excellent health, married – two children, fluent in English, with a working knowledge of Arabic, travelled extensively, keen sportsman of golf and squash.
REFERENCES: Will be provided, on request